Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Meet GTRC Door to Door Campaign Coordinator

In our efforts to introduce the truth and reconciliation Commissioners, staff, and volunteers, please read the following reflections of Martine Powell, the coordinator of our door to door campaign and an intern from the UNCG MA Program in Conflict Resolution:

It is my pleasure to introduce myself to the Greensboro Community and the Greensboro Truth and Reconciliation Commission (GTRC) supporters as the Commission’s Door to Door Coordinator. As a graduate of Winston-Salem State University and a current graduate student pursuing a Master of Arts degree in Conflict Resolution at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, I have often been told that my thoughts are quite utopian.

I must admit, there are many times that I wish we lived in the fictional “Mayberry” type community, where incidents of crime consisted of only minor traffic violations, all individuals were treated equally, and racism was unheard of. Although my thoughts are that of a perfect society, I know the reality is quite extreme. The events of November 3, 1979 are a clear indication of a society in desperate need of reconciliation.

As I reflect on the first public hearing held in August, not only was I pleased with the out pour of support of the speakers and a room filled with people with a genuine interest for a healing community. I admire the courage of everyone who played a vital role in the public hearing and to those who have become a lifeline of the process.

I am responsible for sharing information with community members regarding the purpose of the Commission and identifying individuals who have an interest in sharing their stories regarding November 3, 1979. Although I was a small child during that time, being a part of the first public hearing and the TRC has provided me with a greater sense of empowerment, and a stronger will to make a difference in the future of a community I value tremendously. My hat goes off to those of you who are passionate about reconciliation and the healing process.

If you would like to volunteer with the Door to Door team, please contact the
Commission.


posted by Jill Williams, exec dir.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home