Thursday, July 21, 2005

Meet our public hearings coordinator

Chelsea Marshall is our public hearings coordinator and here are a few of her reflections on the GTRC's public hearings this weekend:

We hope to add a few new voices to this website, and I’m happy to do so by introducing myself. I am a senior at Smith College and have been living in Greensboro since January of this year, working at the Commission as the public hearings coordinator.

I studied in Durban, South Africa in the fall of 2004, mostly focusing on the South African Truth and Reconciliation Commission and the lasting impacts that are felt today (6 years after publication of the report). Even years afterward, there was not a person I spoke with that had not heard of, and did not have their own opinion of, the TRC there. By the time I came back to the States, I was eager to see how this process could be used in our own country, with our own history under consideration.

Since our first public hearing was held this past weekend, I’d like to spend a minute reflecting on that event. I was incredibly pleased with the energy throughout the two days and the consistent support for the speakers on stage. I think the base of information and personal experience that was shared at this hearing will be an important foundation for the community’s understanding of the following two hearings and the remainder of this process.

I will also send out my gratitude to all the speakers and audience members for engaging in this process. I was thrilled to see the audience almost filled both days with community members who were willing to listen to the diverse perspectives spoken on stage. Thank you to everyone who came to answer the question of what brought us to November 3, 1979, to those who came to listen to and hear the speakers, and to those who volunteered their time to make it all happen.

I’ve spent the last seven months thinking about this hearing, and even longer thinking about the effects that public hearings can have on the people who are hearing new perspectives for the first time. In some ways I think that might blind me to some of the obvious questions or concerns that a new comer to this process would have, so I’d love to hear from you. I am looking into the community’s response to this commission and reasons why people have become interested, or explicitly not. Was the hearing what you expected?


posted by: Chelsea Marshall, public hearings coordinator

1 Comments:

Anonymous rolly poly said...

CORTANA:

The enemy has captured Captain Keyes, and are holding him aboard one of their cruisers, the Truth and Reconciliation. The ship is currently holding position approximately three hundred meters above the other end of this plateau.

MARINE TR 1:

So how do we get inside the ship if it's in the air? The Corps issued me a rifle, not wings.

SERGEANT TR 1:

There's a gravity lift that ferries troops and supplies between the ship and the surface. That's our ticket in.

CORTANA:

Once we get inside the ship, I should be able to lock on to the tracking signal from Captain Keyes' neural implants.

SERGEANT TR 1:

Hit it Marines, go go go! The Corps ain't payin' us by the hour!

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home